Please enable JavaScript in your browser

Registration in Wales - CSSIW

Childminder and child at post boxIn Wales, childminders hoping to care for children under 8 for more than two hours per day in the childminder's home must register with the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) before they can start childminding.

To become registered, you firstly need to attend a pre-registration / information session where you will find out more about becoming a childminder. You should contact PACEY Cymru to find out when the next session is being held in your area. Call 0845 880 1299 or email

You will receive lots of information at the session about how to become a childminder and you will be signposted to the CSSIW website where you will need to access important information on the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Child Care in Wales.

Once your training is complete you will have to explain to a CSSIW inspector how you intend to meet the requirements before you start childminding.

The application packs for childminding are now only available on the CSSIW website.

To become registered you will also need to complete the introductory course ‘Understand how to set up a home-based childcare business’ (also referred to as CYPOP5). This is a unit of the Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Care, Learning and Development. This must be completed before you are registered, along with a recognised paediatric first aid course.

Depending on funding from your local authority you may also be able to access further training, support and information to support your application. 

This can include:

  • Advice surgeries on a group or one-to-one basis
  • Telephone and email support
  • Pre-registration support workshops

For further guidance on what is available in your area, please contact the Cardiff office on 0845 8801299 or email stating which local authority you live in.

When you submit your completed application form, you will need to make arrangements for a disclosure from the DBS (formerly known as CRB), to include any people on the proposed childminding premises aged 16 or over. The disclosure makes sure there is nothing in your history or the history of family members to prohibit you from working with children. CSSIW will also carry out further checks, such as a medical check and seeking references.

Finally, a CSSIW inspector will arrange to visit you and carry out a registration inspection where you will need to show how you meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Child Care in Wales and the Childminding and Day Care regulations.

If you are successful you will receive a registration certificate and be able to start work as a registered childminder. At this stage you may also be eligible to apply for a start-up grant designed to help you with any costs you incur as you start your business. You will find out more about this during the registration process.

And, of course, you can also apply for PACEY membership and take out PACEY public liability insurance, underwritten by Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc, to cover you as you childmind.

Want to be part of PACEY? Join online here or if you’re already a member login to MyPACEY