This easy recipe can be made in just a few minutes. Encourage the children to make it themselves, with your support.
You will need
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup of water
- Food colouring/flavourings
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl. The children can do this themselves, with supervision.
The dough can be cut and rolled into all manner of different shapes and sizes.
Keep the dough in an airtight container. It lasts longer if kept in the fridge.
Make your playdough sessions a sensory treat. Add different colours and flavourings to add extra dimensions to the children's play.
- Ginger is a lovely autumnal scent
- Cloves and cinnamon make the dough smell Christmassy.
- Lemon or orange oil adds a fresh, zingy scent.
- Try drops of lavender oil for pre-nap playdough time.
- Add rice to change the texture.
- Glitter makes the dough sparkle.
Remember to explain to the children that even though the dough might smell scrummy, it's not for eating!
One member got in touch to share her experience of adding glow-in-the-dark paint to her playdough recipe. Christine Emery from East Midlands said, "I found the recipe on a blog spot and had a go and it really does work. This would be good for Halloween activities."