Childminding insurance

We know how important it is to you to feel protected. With a range of tailored insurances, designed especially for PACEY members, you can be sure that you and the children you care for are covered.

Public liability insurance

PACEY's public liability insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc and is only available to PACEY members*

It is a requirement for childcare professionals to have appropriate public liability insurance covering them in their work with children.

Each year, PACEY along with the insurers, look at all the claims that have been made and the questions that members have asked about their insurance cover. Then, if it's possible, the insurance is amended to make sure it continues to meet members' needs. Read the policy summary here.

PACEY's public liability insurance cover has a standard limit of indemnity £5,000,000. If you require an additional extension to your cover because you're caring for individuals up to 25 years with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), we can provide increased PLI cover to £10,000,000.

We also offer Employer's liability cover with a standard limit of indemnity £10,000,000.

Please call our Membership Services team on 0300 003 0005 for more details.

Find out how RSA uses your information here.

Discover more benefits available to members of PACEY.

*and registered childminders in Scotland who are members of SCMA.
PACEY is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. No. 310339.

Toddler smilesEmployer's Liability Insurance

If you employ an assistant or another childminder, by law, you need to hold employer’s liability insurance and display an employer’s liability certificate. You will also need one if you are going to be working with a student.

If you’re a member of PACEY who holds PACEY public liability insurance, underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, this already includes employer’s liability insurance. However, you will need to contact PACEY to activate this element of your insurance and obtain a certificate.

When purchasing employer’s liability insurance, if you pay any individual employee more than £116 per week / £503 per month, you are required to provide the Employer Reference Number (ERN - also commonly referred to as the "Employer PAYE Reference"). This can be found on your yellow PAYE payment booklet (P30BC), or on the electronic PAYE reminders that HMRC sends you each year.

If you do not pay your employees over the threshold, you are exempt from supplying this number. You are also exempt if you are based in Jersey or Guernsey.

If these circumstances change, you should inform us by emailing, or calling us on 0300 003 0005. Failure to do so may invalidate your Employer's Liability Insurance in the event of a claim.

If you work with three or more other people, you'll need to read the information in MyPACEY about being a childcare provider on domestic premises.

Need more information?

For more information about any of PACEY's insurance offers, including childminding insurance or to activate your ELI, call the PACEY membership team on 0300 003 0005.

If you need to make a claim against your PLI, please complete this form in the first instance.