Traffic light biscuits
- 225g butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
- To flavour your biscuits you can try adding:
2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
OR the finely grated zest of 1 lemon
OR the finely grated zest of 1 orange.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and additional flavourings (if using) and bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut sized pieces, slightly flatten and shape into a rectangle.
- Place slightly apart on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until they are a light golden brown and slightly firm on top.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Use fruit, such as kiwi, pineapple and strawberries, to replicate the colours of traffic lights. Cut the fruit into small pieces and place in a line with a dab of icing.
Alternatively, use coloured sweeties to make an extra special treat!