This is a fun messy play activities that helps a child's movement as well as hand-eye co-ordination. Use a mixture of different sizes marbles, as well as colours to create a mixture of designs.
You will need:
- Marbles of various sizes
- Empty crisp tubes
- White card
- Paint in various colours with a small pot for each colour
- Tea tray
- Divide the marbles between the children and allow them to explore rolling these backwards and forwards on a tea-tray.
- Ask the children to place the marbles into a shallow container with a small amount of their chosen paint.
- Encourage the children to roll the marbles around the shallow container so the marbles are coated in paint, ideally three or four marbles in various colours of paint.
- Place a piece of card into the inside of the crisp tube (cut to size as appropriate).
- Ask the children to add the marbles and place the lid onto the tube.
- Shake and roll the tube so as to make lots of noise… this could be done to music to make it more fun, and the tubes used like a ‘shaker’.
- Gentle remove the lid and tip the marbles onto the tea tray.
- Remove the card to see the design.
Cut shapes from the card and make personalised decorations, e.g. gift tags for a special occasion.
Areas of Learning and Development (EYFS)
This activity support the following areas of learning and development. For more details, see our factsheet on the Early Years Foundation Stage.
|Communication and language
||Communication and language:
Listening and attention
Moving and handling
|Personal, social, and emotional development
||Personal, social and emotional development:
|Expressive art and design
||Expressive arts and design:
Exploring and using media and materials