CSSIW have now confirmed the move to an online system and information on dates for the annual data collection for registered childcare settings in Wales for 2016 through the Self-Assessment of Service (SASS) and associated Quality of Care report.
This is an extremely important development for providers in Wales. The submission of a SASS and Quality of Care report for each setting is a regulatory requirement and supports CSSIW to have an understanding of the services provided. CSSIW inspectors will also use the information within the SASS to plan for inspection and influence and inform the direction of these inspections.
CSSIW services moving online
From this year CSSIW are moving the submission of the SASS completely online, there will not be an option for providers to choose to submit this to CSSIW on a paper copy. This brings CSSIW and providers in Wales in line with regulators across the UK. An update from CSSIW on the SASS has now been published on their website and CSSIW have confirmed they will continue to update this page
For this year only the Quality of Care report will be separated out from the SASS with the Quality of Care Report not needing to be submitted until the autumn. This should support providers in not being overburdened at this time while becoming familiar with the new system. It is proposed however that in following years the SASS and Quality of Care report will happen at the same point.
Registered childminders were chosen to be the group to pilot the online services and systems during the regulation changes earlier this year and this was very successful with 30% of registered childminders choosing to take up the option of using the online services.
We want to ensure providers have time over the coming weeks to prepare for this and ensure they have the confidence to prepare and submit the SASS. We are working closely with CSSIW on communications and support available during this move to online services and are here to provide support to members and all other childminders in Wales through this period.
Timescales to be aware of
- Any childminder that has already set themselves up on CSSIW online system will receive a ‘come back’ letter around 4 July
- All other providers will receive a letter from CSSIW informing them of how to get online around 4 July
- We suggest providers get online as soon as possible following receipt of the letter to work through any potential technical logging in issues and to familiarise themselves with the system and SASS contents. Please note, however, that the system will not be available for providers to edit and to begin inputting information required until 11 July.
- You will have to record information on the number of children in your care within set weeks. These are term-time; week commencing 11 July and for holiday care week commencing 1 August. Providers who care for children term-time and during holidays will have to ensure they record the information for both these dates.
- Mandatory deadline for submission of the SASS for each setting is 17 August.
- CSSIW will contact providers around their Quality of Care report in the autumn and how to submit this.
Help and support from PACEY Cymru
PACEY Cymru will update this page with further information as it is released and confirmed including relevant links to CSSIW website.
We have produced an associated detailed blog post on the changes and the support available, including a Frequently Asked Questions section and dates for upcoming webinars to support you through the process.