Back to news listing

Next article

Have you had your letter yet?

Tax-free childcare is coming. Have you received your letter from HMRC yet, inviting you to sign up to the scheme?

During the last few weeks, the government has been sending out invitations to all registered childcare professionals to sign up to Tax-Free Childcare. You may have received a letter from HMRC asking you to register your details.

The sign up process is very simple. The letter you receive contains your unique ID which you will need to start the online process.

Once you are in the secure site you will need to confirm your unique taxpayer reference (UTR) number – the HMRC reference number that you can find on communications from HMRC or on your Personal Tax Account.

You will also need to provide bank details for the account you wish to receive Tax-Free Childcare payments into. Payments will be sent electronically from the childcare account directly into your bank account in the same way as with an online bank account. They will include a reference number, to link the payment to the child.  

Parents will be able to register to receive Tax-Free Childcare from early next year.

If you haven't received a letter from HMRC, please check firstly that your contact details are correct with Ofsted if you work in England or CSSIW if you're based in Wales. HMRC is using the details from the registers to contact providers.

Here's a reminder of the key things you should know about Tax Free Childcare.