Using your phone while driving
New penalties have been implemented from today doubling the fine for using a phone at the wheel to six points on your licence and a £200 fine.
- It is illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device while driving, or riding a motorcycle.
- The rules still apply when stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.
- Drivers caught within two years of passing their test could have their licence revoked.
- New drivers who get six points or more must retake their practical and theory tests.
- Experienced drivers could be banned if they get 12 points within three years.
Car seats and booster cushions
The new law effective from today means:
- Any new booster seats for children up to 125cm tall or weighing up to 22kg must have a back and sides.
- If you are using a backless booster seat already for children weighing at least 15kg, you may continue to use this - the change in law applies to new seats.
When transporting children in your car, you must ensure that they are properly restrained - using the correct car seat for their height and weight will help protect them in case of a collision.
Our free member factsheet contains all the information you need.
Motor insurance for you
Are you looking for a car insurance policy? Motor Minder insurance policy is designed specifically for those transporting childen in their care.
The experts at Chidlcare Insurance Services (CIS) Ltd. understand that your vehicle is also part of your service and that your needs and requirements are different. CIS have developed a policy that provides you with a cover to suit your needs.
You can find more information and how to receive a no obligation quote here.