Back to news listing

Next article

Most childminders do not need music licences, PPL and PRS confirm

There has long been confusion about whether childminders are required to purchase an annual music licence to lawfully play recorded music or music videos in their settings.

Most early years providers, including nurseries, playgroups, pre-schools, and crèches, do require a music licence from either PPL or PRS for Music – or most likely both. A joint licence from PPL and PRS for Music tailored to nurseries costs £81.50 (plus VAT) per year.

However, PACEY has secured a concession from PPL and PRS for Music for childminders. As confirmed on PPL's website, childminders only need to purchase a licence ‘if music is played in a room that has been set up specifically and exclusively for the purpose of childminding (e.g. a playroom that is used only for childminding activities and not usually for family/domestic use).’

Larger home-based providers, such as childcare on domestic premises, which do have a specific and exclusive area within their homes used only for their childcare business, are expected to purchase an annual music licence(s).

If you have any questions about music licencing, contact PPL on 020 7534 1100 or by email.