Save the Children have released their latest report on childcare 'Lost opportunities, Lost incomes - Why families in England need further reform of childcare and early education to get into work'.
The analysis revealed some key summary points:
- Parents - particularly mothers - of young children in England are struggling to get into work (60% of lone parent families with a child under five are not working).
- Childcare continues to be a barrier to employment
- Further reform is needed to create more opportunities for families
- Despite reform, the childcare system still isn't creating enough opportunities for families
The report encouraged continued reforming of the system to make their vision a reality with a number of recommendations:
- Support for childcare costs needs to be much simpler for parents to use
- Further support to help parents who still find childcare too expensive, particularly for low income families.
- Make sure that we do not do this at the expense of the quality of provision
- Continued investment and support for the childcare and early education workforce which is central to achieving the type of high quality provision that can lead to big boosts in a child's early leaning.
Sign their petition.