A delegation from the early years sector in Malaysia recently visited PACEY’s headquarters in Bromley to find out more about the support we provide practitioners, and the childcare and early years landscape in the UK.
The group was made of up of professionals in early childhood care and education, and senior officials from the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Women Family and Community Development. They were welcomed by PACEY President and renowned early years author and trainer Penny Tassoni, along with our Policy and Research Manager, Susanna Kalitowski; Professional Development Manager, Rosalind Millam; and EY Smart Project Manager, Annabel Hardy-King.
The delegates were particularly interested in learning more about how early years providers are regulated in England; the differences between providers; and the training and support PACEY offers to practitioners. We also discussed some of the common challenges faced by Malaysia and the UK, including low pay for childcare and early years practitioners and the mental health and wellbeing of children, which is currently under strain in both countries.
Organised by the Department for International Trade’s Education Team in Malaysia, the aim of the of delegation’s visit to the UK was to improve the Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) curriculum standards in the country by providing an opportunity to meet with their UK counterparts and find out about best practice here. In addition to visiting PACEY, the delegation visited a range of early years settings and the Nursery World Show in London.
Members of the Malaysian early years delegation included:
- YB Hannah Yeoh, Deputy Minister of Women, Family and Community Development
- Dato Satinah Syed Saleh, Khazanah Nasional Education Adviser & member of the newly formed Education Ministry’s National Education Advisory Council (MPPK)
- YBhg. Datin Sri Hajah Nor Zamani, Director of Private Education Division, Ministry of Education
- Mrs. Patricia Teh, Founder, Peter & Jane Kindergarten
- Puan Norsheila Abdullah President of the Association of Registered Childcare Providers Malaysia