Since the appointment of Kemi Badenboch MP as the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Children and Families in July the Department for Education (DfE) have today announced that Michelle Donelan, the MP for Chippenham will temporarily replace Badenboch who has gone on maternity leave.
The minister’s responsibilities include:
- children’s social care including child protection, children in care, adoption, care leavers, social work, local authority performance and family law
- special educational needs including high needs funding
- education policy in response to the race disparity audit
- safeguarding in schools
- disadvantaged pupils – including pupil premium and pupil premium plus
- school sport, healthy pupils and school food, including free school meals
- early years policy including inspection, regulation and literacy and numeracy
- childcare policy, inspection and regulation
- delivery of 30 hours free childcare offer
- social mobility including opportunity areas
- DfE contribution to cross-government work to tackle rough sleeping
Read more about our priorities for early years and how we work with the Government.