Ofsted is in the process of updating its online registration system for early years settings in England. Instead of using the current Ofsted Online system to register as a new childminder or nanny and open new nurseries and other forms of childcare, these services will be accessed via GOV.uk for all new applicants.
Currently, the service is only live for new childminders in London. Please see below for further dates.
Ofsted have shared some useful videos giving step by step instructions on how to complete the new application forms.
Watch the full playlist of videos on Ofsted's YouTube channel.
To allow for this transition, people registering with Ofsted should be aware of the following dates:
- 15 January 2020 - from this date nurseries, childcare on non-domestic and childcare on domestic settings will not be able to use the application forms for two weeks (15 January - 29 January).
- 5 February 2020 - from this date childminders and nannies will not be able to use the application forms for two weeks (5 February - 19 February).
This short freeze in applications is to allow Ofsted to check forms that providers have already submitted prior to the dates above.
Replacement forms will then be available for all settings on the GOV.uk website from:
- 29 January 2020 - for all nurseries, childcare on non-domestic and childcare on domestic settings.
- 19 February 2020 - for all childminders and nannies.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Are registration requirements changing?
No. Ofsted have made it clear that while the service is updating, the overall registration requirements are not changing.
- How do I pay for my new application?
Childminders and nannies will be asked to pay at the end of the initial online application process rather than being invoiced afterwards. There is no change for nurseries or other larger settings.
- What if I am in the middle of an application or an existing user on the Ofsted online website?
You will need to start a new application in the new service via GOV.uk if you have not completed your in progress application prior to the freeze date.
- How will I log in now?
Childminders and nannies will no longer need a Government Gateway login to access the new registration site. You will now need to use an email address and phone number.
- How do I tell Ofsted about people in my home?
For new applications, providers will be able to tell Ofsted this information as part of the initial application rather than later in the process as it previously was.
- When will Ofsted Online officially shut down?
Ofsted have stated that from January to March 2020 users will be directed to the new GOV.UK site. Between April - June 2020, Ofsted will start to close down Ofsted Online. These improvements will continue until May 2020.
We would love to hear about your experience with the new registration process. If you would like to share your experience then please email the policy team.