This week (28 June) Ofsted published its updated Early Years Inspection Handbook for inspections taking place from 1 September 2021 in England. Early years and childcare providers can refer to the inspection handbook to learn more about how Ofsted inspectors will carry out their inspections and judgements from September under the education inspection framework (EIF).
What has changed?
The four major changes to the handbook include:
- Changes to the EYFS disapplications in relation to Covid-19
- A new section on revisions to the EYFS from 1 September 2021
- A new section to dispel myths about inspection that can result in unnecessary workload for providers
- Updated grade descriptors
Ofsted has shared a one-page document detailing all of the changes, which you can read here.
Training and support for PACEY members
PACEY’s online training platform, CEY smart offers members short CPD courses that can be done on any device, at any time. The following courses in The business end theme of CEY smart were designed to support you with the process of being inspected under the Education Inspection Framework (EIF) in England:
- Inspection and you – Education Inspection Framework Jargon busting
- Inspection and you - Education Inspection Framework judgement areas
- Inspection and you - Grading in the Education Inspection Framework
- Focus on the learning walk
- Focus on cultural capital
Understanding the EYFS reforms
We know that the upcoming EYFS changes in September may be daunting for our members in England. We have developed a range of free and exclusive resources for PACEY members to help you to deliver the new EYFS with confidence. Find all of our EYFS resources and more in our Resource Hub.
We are working with Dr Julian Grenier (the practitioner who led on the revision of Development Matters for the 2021 EYFS reforms) to produce a series of CEY smart courses exploring the key features of effective practice as outlined in Development Matters. Visit The business end theme to explore the first three in the series:
- The seven key features of effective practice: The best for every child
- NEW! The seven key features of effective practice: High quality care
- NEW! The seven key features of effective practice: The curriculum
Look out for the remaining four courses in our seven key features of effective practice series, coming in July and August.
You can also purchase a copy of the new EYFS 21 and Development Matters in our PACEY shop.