Ofsted are currently developing a new Education Inspection Framework (EIF) for September 2019. They launched the formal consultation on our proposals in January 2019. Make sure you let Ofsted know what you think about the proposals for early years by completing the on-line consultation.
HMCI is clear that the ‘curriculum’, the educational choices we make for children, will be at the heart of the new framework. Ofsted use that word in the current early years inspection handbook, but have come up with a working definition so it is clear about what this means.
- The EYFS (educational programmes) provides the curriculum framework that leaders build on to decide what they intend children to learn and develop.
- Leaders and practitioners decide how they will implement the curriculum so children make progress in the seven areas of learning
- Leaders and practitioners evaluate the impact of the curriculum by checking what children know and can do.
After a recent focused training session for Ofsted inspectors, they told Ofsted that they found this useful and thought provoking. Therefore, Osted are keen to share this session with local authorities and registered early years providers as well as answer questions you may have about the proposals for the EIF.
Ofsted are inviting early years practitioners to attend one of the Early Years Curriculum Workshops, which are taking place on various dates and locations. All details, including timings, can be found during registration. Please register for these events here.
- 27 Feb 2019 - 16:00 - 18:30 - London
- 7 Mar 2019 - 9:30 - 12:00 - Birmingham
- 7 Mar 2019 - 13:00 - 15:30 - Birmingham - FULLY BOOKED
- 8 Mar 2019 - 16:00 - 18:30 - York - FULLY BOOKED
- 21 Mar 2019 - 16:00 - 18:30 - Bristol
- 27 Mar 2019 -16:00 - 18:30 - London
Agenda for the 2 ½ hour workshop:
- What does the ‘curriculum’ mean for early years?
- Distinguishing the ‘curriculum’ from teaching and assessment.
- What is knowledge? (considering the building blocks of knowledge children need to learn)
- Proposals for the new EIF – the quality of education.
- Busting some of those ‘myths’ about inspection.
And don’t forget to let us know about our proposals for EIF – the consultation is open until 5 April 2019.