Funded childcare training in Wales
Welsh Government programme - Progress for Success
About the programme
Are you looking for funding support to undertake further, relevant training?
The Welsh Government has now confirmed the launch of 'Progress for Success', a work based training programme part-funded by the European Social Fund in partnership with the Welsh Government. The scheme will fund professionals working in the childcare, early years and play sector in Wales to gain nationally recognised qualifications.
This is a great opportunity for those living and working in Wales to take advantage of fully funded training, which will make a real difference to the children for whom you care and also provide evidence to CSSIW on your commitment to further learning and development.
Currently a significant number of practitioners working in the childcare and play sector in Wales have no or very low levels of recognised qualifications, so the main focus of the Progress for Success programme will be to support workers to gain sector specific qualifications
In particular this means that there will now be increased availability of funding support for over 25 year olds to gain the Level 3 Children's Care, Learning and Development Diploma (CCLD) through this programme which was harder to source previously.
Where is funding going to be available?
Access to funding is available to those who are living and working in a relevant setting in Wales who meet the eligibility criteria.
The programme includes funding for the Level 3 Children’s Care Learning and Development (CCLD).
CYPOP5, the unit required for registration as a childminder in Wales, is a unit of the Level 3 CCLD and the credits you have gained from this unit can be put towards the qualification. You are also able to choose whether you would like to carry out your training in English, Welsh or both.
To be considered for funding under Progress for Success you must meet the following criteria:
- aged 25 or above at the time of your application
- currently employed in an early years, childcare, or play setting that is registered with CSSIW, or are a registered childminder, in Wales
- currently employed, or self-employed, for 16 hours or more per week
- have been employed by your current employer, or working as a registered childminder, for at least four weeks at the time of application.
Please note further eligibility criteria may apply. If you are under 25 funding is available through alternative Welsh Government programmes. Please contact us for further information.
How is the training delivered?
PACEY Cymru works closely with training providers across Wales delivering Progress for Success. This will support access to funded training and ensure the content and delivery of the training meets the needs of members.
Our work with Educ8 in south Wales has been a great starting point for a collaborative approach and continues to develop as part of our wider partnership working with training providers in Wales.
Each training organisation will differ in how they support you to achieve your qualification and complete the programme however the following information will help you decide whether this prgramme is right for you.
- The qualifications are made up of mandatory and optional units - these can be selected in-line with your personal interests/areas of work
- Any relevant work that you have completed previously can be crossreferenced to avoid duplication
- Training is delivered in a variety of ways but will include work-based observations by an allocated assessor and for some training organisations evening/weekend workshops.
How long will it take me to complete the programme?
The time it takes to complete depends entirely on your commitment and motivation. Generally, learners complete the Level 3 within 12-18 months.
What do I need to do if I am interested in gaining a Level 3 CCLD?
PACEY Cymru are working with training providers across Wales to support access for members to this programme.
If you are interested and meet the above criteria you need to:
- Print out and complete the level 3 Expression of Interest form available in English and Welsh and post back to the Wales office, the address is on the form to register your interest.
- If you have previously completed an Expression of Interest form with us for the Level 3 email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure we have the record of this and confirm that you are still interested.
Details of those who have expressed an interest will be forwarded to training provider partners who we are working with based on the order of names on our waiting list so a swift response will be beneficial to you.
Please note that most qualifications have eligibility criteria attached to them that will be discussed with you as you apply and these are confirmed by Welsh Government and training providers.
If you already hold a Level 3 CCLD (or equivalent) and are interested in progression to higher level qualifications take a look at the higher level qualifications on offer.
For any further enquiries contact the Wales office on 0845 880 1299 or email email@example.com