Higher level qualifications
PACEY promotes the need for childcare and early years professionals to upskill and continuously develop their practice. PACEY Cymru works closely with key partners to support access and availability of higher level qualifications relevant to the workforce in Wales, including childminders and other childcare and early years professionals.
Progress to Success
Strand 2 of the Welsh Government’s Progress for Success programme is in development and will enable access and routes into higher qualifications for the sector. This strand is due to be launched in the autumn and we will provide further updates on this as information is released. Read more about the Progress to success programme.
The programme will provide support to childcare and play workers already at Level 3 to increase their qualifications further at Levels 4 to 6.
Looking for higher level training now?
PACEY Cymru also work closely with Educ8 and are currently able to refer members who meet key eligibility criteria for the Level 5 Children’s Care Learning and Development - Advanced Practice (CCLD).
If you hold a Level 3 Children’s Care and Development (CCLD) or relevant equivalent are looking at enrolling on a Level 5 course we would love to hear from you.
Information on what qualifications are seen as an equivalent to the Level 3 CCLD can be found within this document. Please note that a degree or higher level qualification in non-related childcare/early years subject is not seen as an equivalent in Wales where the focus is on occupational competency which needs to be demonstrated rather than academic ability. If you do not meet this criteria you will need to consider enrolling on a Level 3 CCLD.
Eligibility for the Level 5 is looked at on a case by case basis but ideally to be eligible you would:
- have a Level 3 CCLD or equivalent
- have a minimum of 2 years' experience in the childcare sector - this could be as a childminder, in a day nursery, or in a playgroup etc
- need to be able to commit to attending group events and training sessions held
- be able to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to achieve the Level 5 - in particular understanding the need to demonstrate competence in areas of the qualification that require you to be managing staff or supporting others. PACEY Local can support with this.
- not have already accessed a similar programme funded through European funding
Further information on the level 5 is available in this booklet.
What should I do if I am interested?
Take a look through the level 5 booklet and the above criteria to think about whether this training is right for you.
Print out and complete the Expression of Interest form and post back to the Wales office, the address is on the form.