Helping others with money worries

Sadly, we know that millions of children are living in poverty and the Covid-19 pandemic is making the situation much worse.

More and more families are finding themselves unable to pay bills and and/or afford food. That can be the case even if one or both parents are working.

If you suspect that a child in your care is living in a family with money problems, there are sources of help that the parents may find useful.

Many branches of Citizens Advice have experienced benefits advisors who can assist families in completing benefits claim forms and appealing decisions to stop their benefit(s). To find your local Citizens Advice you can search via postcode or town on the Citizens Advice website.

The Turn2Us website has a benefits calculator to help families identify state benefits they may be entitled to claim. For those without internet access they have a free helpline: 0808 802 2000 (9am-8pm Mondays-Fridays).

Council Tax is a bill which many families in poverty struggle with, and council tax arrears are now the biggest debt problem reported to Citizens Advice. Since Council Tax Benefit was abolished in April 2013, local councils are now responsible for running their own schemes, often known as ‘Council Tax Reduction’ or ‘Council Tax Support’ schemes. 

Council Tax Help has a postcode search function to help families identify the support available to help them pay Council Tax in their local area.

Your area will have its own local Food Bank.

Read our blog about How to support children and families experiencing poverty.