Before registering

The process you go through to register as a childminder will be different depending on whether you live in England or Wales.

Childminders in England are registered and inspected by Ofsted. In Wales, by the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).

Wherever you live and work, however, PACEY offers the best pre-registration training course to help you prepare for this exciting career.

Look out for HBCA in England and Pre-registration training course for home-based childcare in Wales​, helping you meet the requirements of registration and giving you the information you need to take on this new role.

Become a childminder in England

If you're thinking about being a registered childminder in England then PACEY's short online briefing session is a must. Costing just £5.00, you'll be able to explore what it means to be a childminder, and discover more about the training and other processes that are involved. Sign up today!

As well as getting a taster of all the support and assistance PACEY membership can offer, you'll also learn about the process for applying to register as a childminder on the Ofsted Early Years Register and the compulsory and voluntary parts of the Childcare Register.

Some local authorities in England offer help, support and advice for new childminders, and may even be able to fund your training, insurance, and membership of PACEY. It's always worth getting in touch with your local authority early years team to see what help and advice they can give you in getting started as a childminder. You can find contact details for your local council here.

Whether or not your local authority is able to offer you help and assistance, PACEY membership remains the best way to get the support of experts and the reassurance of belonging to your professional assocaition.

Become a childminder in Wales

In Wales, childminders looking to care for children under 12 for more than two hours per day in the childminder's home must register with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) before they can start childminding.

CIW is the regulator for social care and social services in Wales. They have responsibility for inspecting services to ensure they are safe for the people who use them.

There is more detailed information on the process for becoming a childminder in Wales on our web page Register as a Childminder in Wales. The first thing you need to do is complete a Briefing Information Session. This is where you will find out more about becoming a registered childminder. Find out more about these and how to attend one here.

We asked childminders in Wales what is the best thing about being a childminder. Here's what they had to say!