Childcare Business Grants
The Department for Education has confirmed that the Childcare Business Grant will close to new applicants on 31 March 2019.
They have acknowledged that some prospective childminders have encountered delays in their application for registration with Ofsted being completed. In recognition of this, the Department for Education has agreed that where an individual has started the application process for the Childcare Business Grants Scheme (CBGS) and Ofsted before 31 March 2019, they will have until 31 May 2019 to complete their application by providing an Ofsted or CMA registration certificate. Please note that Ofsted aim to complete 85% of all childminder registrations with 12 weeks.
Newly registered childminders in England may be eligible for a grant of up to £1000 to help meet the cost of starting their childminding business.
Who is eligible?
- The grant is available to childminders, childcare providers on domestic premises and childminder agencies operating in England.
- You must be registered with Ofsted or a CMA on the Early Years Register.
- You must be planning to offer the 30 hours funded childcare entitlement for 3- and 4-year-olds yourself, or in partnership if you are a childminder or childcare provider on domestic premises.
- Funding is not available to anyone who has claimed the grant previously, unless you are now applying as a childminding agency.
How much is it?
- Grants of £300 available for applicants who are a newly registered Childminder or Childcare Provider on Domestic Premises in all areas of England.
- A locality supplement of £200 on top of the universal award providing a total grant of £500, will be available for applicants who are a newly registered Childminder or Childcare Provider on Domestic Premises and operate in listed target local authorities.
- £1000 for an early years childminder or childcare provider on domestic premises planning to care for children with special educational needs and disability (SEN/D)
- £1000 for a Childminder Agency (CMA).
You can only apply for ONE grant.
What can I spend the money on?
How to apply
- You will need a copy of your Ofsted certificate in order to apply.
- Be a new business, you must apply within three months of your registration.
- You need to be registered by Ofsted on the Early Years register.
- You must apply before 31 March 2019, when the scheme will be closed.
- You may be selected for a post-payment audit. If you claim £1000 you will be audited.
- You will be notified of your audit within six months of your grant payment.
- You must spend your grant within three months of receipt.
- Keep all your receipts for at least 12 months after the grant.
Read more about the Childcare Business Grant.