What do nursery workers do?
A typical day will vary depending on where you are working but might include:
- greeting parents and welcoming children into the setting and helping them to settle
- setting up and clearing away after activities and planning, organising and leading activities, ensuring that children are playing safely, including overseeing outdoor play
- providing snacks and helping children to eat and helping children wash and go to the toilet
- observing children to help understand their learning needs and completing relevant paperwork and keeping records
- working closely alongside other staff.
Each child attending the nursery has a "key person". The role of the key person is to help ensure that every child’s learning and care is tailored to meet their individual needs. They will spend most time with the child, and will be the first point of contact for the child's parents.