First aid training in Wales
PACEY Cymru has teamed up with training provider Reactive First Aid to offer accredited paediatric first aid training.
Reactive First Aid is an experienced training company working across Wales. The paediatric first aid training they deliver is accredited by the Association of First Aiders (AoFA) and regulated by Ofqual. Reactive First Aid believes the quality of their training is enhanced by the experience their trainers have in the real world of emergencies.
How does PACEY Cymru work with Reactive First Aid?
As well as delivering paediatric first aid together, PACEY Cymru works closely with Reactive First Aid to take forward related work that will support ongoing discussions with the Welsh Government, CSSIW and Cwlwm partners around best practice in relation to first aid training for childcare and early years professionals in Wales.
Does this training meet CSSIW requirements in line with the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare in Wales?
This training meets the best practice guidelines for first aid training promoted by PACEY. These are that the training;
- Caters for practitioners caring for children in the absence of their parents
- Be for a minimum of 12 hours
- Covers what to include in a first-aid kit for babies and children
- Demonstrates resuscitation techniques using models of babies and children, and gives practitioners a chance to practise on models of each age group
- Includes how to record accidents and incidents appropriately.
- Meets the requirements of CSSIW in Wales
What are the benefits of choosing this training?
The training is delivered over two days, usually Saturdays by Reactive First Aid. The benefits to completing this training through Reactive First Aid are:
- Competitive course cost of £90 per learner,
- Quality delivery by qualified assessors with experience in a relevant medical field
- Accredited training: learners will achieve the Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (QCF)
- Includes a learner’s handbook- a useful resource to refer back to as needed.
- Delivered on days tailored to meet the needs of working childcare and early years professionals, usually Saturdays.
- Includes lunch and refreshments on both training days
- Courses can be held across Wales based on demand
- Bilingual trainers available to support the needs of Welsh speakers
What are the overall learning outcomes for this training?
- the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider.
- how to provide first aid to an infant/child who is suffering from shock.
- how to provide first aid to an infant/child with anaphylaxis.
- how to complete records relating to illnesses, injuries and emergencies.
To be able to:
- assess an emergency situation safely.
- Provide first aid to an infant/child;
- who is unresponsive and breathing normally
- who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- who has a foreign body airway obstruction
- with external bleeding
- administer first aid to an infant/child
- with injuries to bones, joints and muscles
- with head and spinal injuries.
- with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose.
- with a chronic medical condition or sudden illness.
- who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat or cold.
- who has sustained an electric shock.
- with burns or scalds.
- who has been poisoned.
- who has been bitten or stung.
- with minor injuries.
Upcoming Reactive First Aid courses in Wales.
What 12 hour Paediatric First Aid courses are available?
Please contact PACEY Cymru firstname.lastname@example.org for further information, depending on interest, courses can be delivered across Wales.
How do I book on to first aid training?
To book enquire about courses in your area or for further information please contact the PACEY Cymru office on 0845 880 1299 or email the PACEY Cymru team.
What others have said...
"Brilliant course- loved the real-life scenarios and examples. I've come away feeling much more confident about First Aid"
Registered childminder, Blaenau Gwent.
"Very informative course which was all useful. The trainer had lots of examples from first hand experiences to share which I feel is the best way to learn"
Pre-registration childminder, south Wales.
“Reactive First Aid delivered exceptional professional training to the staff team using a range of learning methods which ensured all aspects and understanding of the vital life saving skills were completely embedded within us all and I cannot recommend them highly enough.
"Questions were encouraged and fully answered in a very relaxing environment where you were not afraid to question or share your thoughts and experiences with the whole team.
"Fresh with the information and high level of training received from the Reactive First Aid trainers, one of our newly qualified staff had the confidence to help in a real life CPR emergency at the side of the road with an adult stranger and her actions helped to revive and save his life.”
Manager, Childcare Provider, Cardiff.