Webinars for Wales
If you want to discuss important childcare issues in a friendly, supportive setting, sign up to one of our interactive sessions for Wales-based childcare professionals.
Our webinars are interactive training sessions led by an experienced PACEY tutor. They will guide you as part of a small group of childcare professionals, through the online session.
Here is what one recent member had to say about her webinar experience:
"My concerns for a webinar was that it wouldn't be like a face-to-face workshop, but I have found that not to be the case. We interacted in exactly the same way with the convenience of not having to drive to a venue." (childminder, Wales)
Upcoming Webinars in Wales
||17th September 2019
||1st October 2019
|Welsh Support (Free)
||2nd October 2019
||6th November 2019
||5th December 2019
All webinars above, unless specified, cost just £10 for PACEY members and £12 for non-members (inc VAT) with exception of the briefing session costs £10.
How to book
To find out more and book, call PACEY Cymru on 02920 351407. Lines are open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these times, please send an email to email@example.com and we'll get back to you.
Can’t find the training you’re looking for? Or do you have any ideas for future webinars? Get in touch, We love to hear from you.
These webinars have been specifically developed to support your practice in Wales.
Why choose to become a registered childminder? If you are passionate about giving children the best start in life and would like a career that fits in with your family commitments then becoming a registered childminder could be an ideal choice. This webinar outlines the benefits of becoming a childminder and how you can develop your skills and build a business, while supporting children and families in your local community.
This webinar will explain to you the role of a registered childminder, as well as additional learning outcome that are listed below:
- Understand the legislation and registration process
- Consider whether childminding is the right career choice
- Understand the next steps in the registration process
Statement of Purpose
When you register as a childminder in Wales, you need to write a Statement of Purpose, a personal statement about you and your childminding services. This session will help you write your Statement of Purpose, or review it if you’ve already registered.
Following this webinar, you will be able to:
- Have an understanding of the relevant information required in their Statement of Purpose to childminding settings in line with CIW regulations.
- Have an understanding of how to use the PACEY Cymru guidance to support registering and/or reviewing your service.
Writing your policies and procedures
When you become a childminder in Wales, you need to register with the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW). This webinar will help you write policies for your CIW application, or review what you’ve written following registration. As a childminder, you will need to be aware of the Regulations that are there and this webinar will provide an explanation of this, as well as:
- Have an understanding of the relevant information required in their Policies and Procedures to childminding settings in line with CIW regulations.
- Have an understanding of how to use the guidance to register/update your service.
Completing your registration application
This webinar is for those who want to apply to CIW to become a registered childminder in Wales and gives you an overview of the CIW Application Form. We also support you with the paperwork involved in submitting an application. The application form is your opportunity to think through and plan how exactly you are going to run your service, so that you are as prepared as you can be for when you start as a childminder. Following this webinar, you will:
- Have an understanding of how to use the documentation and information to support your application
- Be able to complete the Application Form ready to submit to CIW
Next Steps to Registration
This short webinar is for those who want to apply to CIW to become a registered childminder in Wales and have recently completed the CYPOP5 pre-registration course (Understand how to set up a home-based childcare service). The short session will begin to explore the process of registering as a childminder in Wales, providing an opportunity to consider and plan the journey from pre-registration training to registration. During this webinar you will:
- Consider the process to becoming a registered childminder in Wales
- Plan the next steps along the route to registration
Welsh Language Development
Fun with Welsh
Looking for a new way to introduce basic Welsh language through play in your setting?
In this webinar we use a wide range of fun and interactive activities to help registered childcare providers develop basic Welsh language skills to use with the children in their settings. You will also receive the PACEY Cymru Cymraeg Cynnar Early Welsh resource pack to support you.
The webinar is suitable for those with little or no Welsh Language skills.
Following this webinar you will have an understanding of the importance of Welsh language in supporting children’s learning and development and have noted the learning outcomes below
- Know how to use Welsh language in everyday activities and routines to support children’s Welsh language development.
- Understand the principles of the Foundation Phase and Curriculum Cymreig.
- Reflect on current practice and identify sources of further training or support
Childcare Business Development
Growing my business
This webinar focuses on how to improve your business. You’ll be able to ask questions on any aspect of running and developing your service, including filling vacancies, developing an action plan, finances, record keeping and reviewing policies and procedures. It will also provide you with support and guidance on how to operate the business side of your service. This webinar will enable you to:
- Identify the factors that impact on their business
- Select the tools for use in a considered marketing strategy for the childcare business
- Identify records/paperwork required and the importance of these.
- Research the financial implications of running a professional business
- Identify the importance of support/advice from other agencies
Newly Registered – Introductory Webinar
This short introductory webinar is aimed at newly registered childminders who would like further guidance and ideas for your new childminding service. This webinar will introduce and signpost to sources of support on topics including marketing, inspections, record keeping and managing your business. Discussions with other new childminders will help you to start thinking about the future and what you need to do to not only maintain your service but to help you develop an established and successful childminding business.
This introductory session will support you to:
- Understand the basics of marketing and business management relevant to childminding settings
- Understand how to use these principles in the development of your service
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
This webinar examines the risks to children and young people of using social media and explores the use of technology as a means of communication and promotion, considering potential risks and safeguards. This is also an opportunity to explore different methods of promoting your service and filling your vacancies. This webinar will enable you to have:
- Understand of what social media comprises
- Consider the different platforms of social media and be able to identify which suit their business requirements
- Be aware of the potential benefits of using social media to communicate and promote the setting
- Ability to risk assess the use of social media within their setting appropriately
- Information to enable them to review their policies and procedures accordingly
The main aim of this webinar is to explore the use of observations in a childcare setting. We will consider different forms of observing children and how your observations can support the assessment and recording of developmental steps for children. As a result, you will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of observations to support your practice
- Be able to identify different forms of observing children to support assessing and recording evidence of development
- Be able to use ideas to plan opportunities which support the learning and development of under 8’s specifically in line with the Foundation Phase Profile
Planning for Learning
The main aim of this webinar is to explore the use of the Foundation Phase Profile as a tool to support planning for and recording children’s learning and development. This webinar will focus more on assessment and recording of children’s development than on observations, which is covered in more depth on our carrying out Observations webinar. Following this you will consider how you can respond to the increased emphasis on planning for learning under the new Inspection Framework in Wales, as well as being able to:
- Explore different forms of observing, assessing and recording children’s development
- Prepare to use the Foundation Phase Profile as an assessment tool
This webinar introduces the concept of assertiveness and encourages you to value yourself and build your self-esteem and self-confidence. This webinar will enable you to formulate an understanding of what is meant by assertive behaviour, as well as being able to:
- Assess the importance of developing positive self-image in building self-esteem and, therefore, self-confidence.
- Examine some aspects of building their own self-confidence
Learning Through Play (Foundation Phase Awareness)
The key point of this webinar is to help children learn how to learn, develop thinking skills and positive approaches to learning. We will explore with you how the Foundation Phase principles underpin effective practice and how these principles can inform and challenge current practice. It provides you with practical ideas and templates for planning and evidencing included. As a result, you will be able to:
- Identify effective practice in line with Foundation Phase principles
- Identify how the Foundation Phase principles can be used to inform practice
Explore and Play
During this webinar we explore with you the benefits of treasure baskets and heuristic play. By the end of the session you will be able to:
- Identify the origins of treasure baskets and heuristic play
- Define the differences between treasure baskets and heuristic play
- Identify the role of the adult
- Identify the benefits to babies and children's learning and development
This is me
The aim of this webinar is to provide you with information and develop knowledge and understanding around supporting children’s emotional development, with clear links to personal and social development and well-being. By the end of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Explore the importance of children’s emotional, personal and social development and well-being.
- Identify techniques to prepare and support children who enter the setting.
- Demonstrate how to support children to make choices.
- Define the importance of child initiated/centred play.
My Voice, My Choice
The aim of this webinar is to raise your awareness of how you can participate effectively with children in your care and their families. We will talk you through the many benefits, including for the children’s confidence & self-esteem as they grow into adults with the skills they have developed through participation. Following this, you will hopefully be able to define effective participation, as well as:
- Identify current good practice
- Develop skills to collect evidence of participation
- Use the evidence to reflect on and improve their practice
Foundation Phase Awareness
Looking to learn how the Foundation Phase principles underpin, inform and challenge effective, current practice? If yes then come along to this webinar.
We will talk you through how to identify effective practice in line with Foundation Phase principles and how to also identify how the Foundation Phase principles can be used to inform practice.
In addition to this we will also support you and provide guidance on how you can incorporate the Foundation Phase into your practice.
Focus on the Foundation Phase Profile
The aim of this webinar is to explore the use of the Foundation Phase Profile to plan and record children’s learning and development.
We will explore different forms of observing, assessing and recording children’s development, introducing and providing you with a walk through on how to use the Foundation Phase Profile as an assessment tool.
In addition to this we will also support you and provide guidance on how you can incorporate the Foundation Phase into your practice.
Professional Practice (providing a quality childcare service)
CIW Inspection Framework
The aim of this webinar is to introduce the CIW inspection framework for regulated childcare in Wales. Following this webinar you will be able to:
- Understand the CIW inspection framework
- Reflect on your practice in relation to the themes of the CIW inspection framework
- Understand how to evidence and promote the quality of your service
- Develop an action plan to meet the CIW inspection framework
Self Assessment of Service Statement (SASS)
PACEY Cymru are working closely with CIW to support around the move to online return of the SASS for 2016 and are holding specific webinars on this topic, supported by funding from CIW. Additional dates for webinars are available upon request, please contact PACEY Cymru on 0845 880 1299 for further information.
This webinar will introduce and help settings to prepare for completion of the online Self Assessment of Service (SASS). The webinar will include information and guidance on:
Introduction of the online SASS
Benefits of using an online system
Confirmed timescales for completion and submission of the SASS
Guidance on preparation, completion and submission of the SASS
Further support available and next steps
Completing your annual service review
This workshop is aimed at those of you preparing to complete your annual Quality of Care review. It explores the benefits of self-assessment and the areas of childcare practice that you could include in your reports. Following this, you will understand how to complete your quality of care review and produce an action plan.
This workshop will help you to:
- Understand the importance of self-reflection
- Reflect on areas of childcare practice in relation to the themes of the CIW inspection framework
- Identify what information needs to be included in the quality of care review
The aim of this webinar is to raise awareness with you of the benefits to your business of using social media, explore how settings use social media as a means of communication and promotion. It also raises awareness of the risks to children and young people of using social media and the internet. Following this you will be able to identify different social media platforms and reflect on these, as well as:
- Understand how to use social media in the development of your service
- Understand the potential benefits of using social media to communicate and promote the setting
- Understand how to risk assess the use of social media within your setting
- Know how to review policies and procedures to reflect use of social media
Steps to Safety
The aim of this webinar is for you to recognise the importance of risk assessment and to explore how effective risk assessments can be carried out and recorded, and how to start to complete effective risk assessment for your own settings.
Following this webinar, you will be able to identify the reasons why risk assessments are important, and will be able to:
- Describe what risk assessments are and identify the reasons why risk assessments are important
- Consider the level of risk and actions which can be taken to minimise these
- Consider differentiation of risk depending on children’s ages and stage of development
The aim of this webinar is to explore with you how the Infection Prevention and Control for Childcare Settings (0-5 years) All Wales Guidance can inform and support best practice. You will be shown how to use the guidance to develop local infection control policies & procedures, and will also be able to:
- Consider good practice in order to reduce the potential for cross infection in the setting
- Review childcare practice in relation to the Infection Prevention and Control Guidance
- Prepare an Action Plan to complete the Infection Control Audit Tool for Childcare Settings.
This webinar explains to you the regulation around allergens and what to be aware of when providing food and snacks when caring for children. You will have a better understanding of what the allergens are, and will be able to:
- Regularly review your menus and be aware of any changes or additions that you may make.
- Ensure that you are accurate, consistent and that your information is verifiable upon challenge.
- Risk assess when you may be eating food away from the setting either provided by another practitioner or when eating in restaurants or cafes.
PACEY Cymru Forum Webinars
PACEY Cymru will be planning into the calendar, supported through our Welsh Government funding, PACEY Cymru Forum webinars to support general discussion and sharing of good practice between members and all other home based childcare providers in Wales. These will be held every two months on a range of topics. There will be no charge for accessing these webinars. We believe that this will allow the forum to be more accessible to those across Wales due to the fact that webinars can be accessed from a home environment. The webinars will be facilitated by one of PACEY Cymru's Quality and Training Officers.
Taking part in a PACEY webinar is a great way to discuss your thoughts with others and get to ask questions of our expert tutors. Webinars run during the evening helping you fit training around your busy working day.
Each webinar you take part in goes towards your continuous professional development hours, an important part of your commitment to being a member of PACEY. And remember that training costs are an allowable expense for your business if you're a childminder.
Webinars from other providers
HMRC run two free webinars for childminders in England and Wales:
- How to Complete your Online Tax Return (Childminders)
- Self Employed Childminders and HMRC.